[SI-LIST] Re: DecapPlacement

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sreekanthn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Sreekanth,
Rules of thumb are dangerous here and should be used as a starting point only
(such as layered cap size from VRM to IC's)  since resonances can be tricky.  I
would strongly consider using a tool like Siwave, Sigrity, Optimal or your
choice to find your boards resonances and therefore decoupling cap placement.
Remember board decoupling strategies are only effective up to a point and a
very good understanding of the package(s) and on-die parasitics is critical.
 -Jory
Sreekanth N nampoothiri <sreekanthn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear Group,

                    How much ll be the bad effect if we place a decap in the
opposite side of the mother IC,if the design is  in 200+ MHz range?
                    Do we have any rule of thumb regarding the decap
handling?

Best Regards,
Sreekanth N Nampoothiri

List technical documents are available at: