[SI-LIST] Re: DDR termination

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: electronbob2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:06:05 -0700

Bob
I'd say your final conclusion is on target.  DDR termination is rather
"twitchy" to say  the least, being a non-perfectly terminated resonant
system.  Most consumer motherboards work fine typically, but have
problems with specific memory configurations or corner cases.  It is a
safe bet that many of the different memory termination designs that you
see do not work over worst case conditions.

regards,

scott

Bob McNamara wrote:

>It's really all over the map, even with motherboards
>using the same chipset.  Some have no series term,
>others have 10 Ohm or 22 Ohm.  The parallel terms
>vary from 27 Ohm up to 68 Ohm.  Some use no series
>term for address/command and have a small cap to
>ground.  Others have artwork for the cap but it's
>not stuffed.
>
>I think one motherboard had no series term and a
>33 Ohm parallel term, while another (using the
>same chipset and claiming the same memory speeds)
>had no series term and a 68 Ohm parallel term.
>
>I would have thought that for a given chipset, there
>would be some combination of resistor values that
>would produce the best signal integrity.  If I make
>the rash assumption that all of these implementations
>work equally well, my conclusion is that the value
>of the parallel termination isn't particularly
>critical.
>
>It seems to me that the only other possibility is
>that some of these manufacturers didn't do their
>homework, and their memory system designs are
>marginal.
>
>Bob
>
>--- Chris McGrath <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Bob,
>>
>>I would guess that the series termination also
>>varies.  Does it?
>>
>>-Chris

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
2926 SE Yamhill St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 239-5536
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org