[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David.Carney@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:52:23 -0700

David I think it is a very bad idea.  Let's get down to basics of
digital signaling:

We want to send each pulse on its way from source to destination with
the following characteristics:

1. The timing is well controlled.
2. Any given pulse extinguishes in such a way that it does not interfere
with successive pulses.  Ideally we have no memory in the interconnect
and therefore no ISI.

When you close the circle you create two timing paths from each source
to each destination violating 1).  You also eliminate your ability to
emulate an infinite length IE memoryless transmission line by employing
termination, violating 2).  So to my thinking, this is a very bad idea.

Steve.
David Carney (Neenah) wrote:
> Has anyone ever experimented with a circle bus topology.  The basic
> concept would be a bus with several devices attached.  They would be
> routed in a daisy chain topology, and then the two ends of the daisy
> chain would be connected together.  The PCB routing would look like a
> circle or a loop for each net on the bus.  Pointers to references such
> as papers or application notes would be greatly appreciated.  I'm
> particularly interested in signal integrity and EMC implications of this
> topology.
>
> Thanks.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net