[SI-LIST] Re: Can we drive 100Mhz SSTL_18 with standard ALVC or other 1.8V logic

  • From: Faraydon Pakbaz <pakbazf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:57:25 -0500

Jai;

You can create some behavioral model of IO using a RLC model. You can then
modify this passive elements to deliver the current and voltage level
needed and
test it for various terminations. Let me know if you are interested and I
can send you
some slides to describe it. They run a lot faster than actual encrypted
SPICE model
and IBIS. Thanks.

Regards;

Faraydon(Don) Pakbaz
AE/TS Customer Support Engineering
Email: pakbazf@xxxxxxxxxx
Voice: (802) 769-5638  Tieline: 446-5638   Fax: (802) 769-5722

             steve weir
             <weirsi@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  jswarrier@xxxxxxxxx,
             si-list-bounce@fr         si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/22/2006 04:13          [SI-LIST] Re: Can we drive 100Mhz
             AM                        SSTL_18 with standard ALVC  or
                                       other 1.8V logic

             Please respond to
                  weirsi

Jai, at such a low bit rate, I think a well terminated channel should
work fine.  If you can't simulate, build a small test vehicle.

Steve.

At 11:38 PM 2/21/2006, Jai Shanker wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>For a low-cost implementation we are looking to drive
>SSTL_18 receivers on our chip with standard 1.8V
>single -ended logic for a 100Mhz clock.
>
>I have usually used LVPECL for this type of
>application.
>
>I checked it should be OK to drive 1.8V levels to the
>SSTL_18 inputs. The remaining question is about the
>speed / drive performance of the standard logic.
>
>Can I use ALVC244 / 245 type of buffers? They have ~
>6mA symmetric current drive.
>
>They dont spec any fMAX or Max data rate info. There
>is such info on some TI devices (SN74AVC8T245,
> >170Mbps @ 1.8V operation) but they spec a load of
>15pF+ 2K. The ALVC buffer specs its load at 30pF+500
>ohms. So would they be comparable.
>
>I have downloaded some IBIS models of the buffers but
>I dont have easy access to any simulation tool.
>
>Has anybody done this or anything similar.
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Jai Warrier

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: