[SI-LIST] Re: Can L12 ever exceed L1 or L2 ??

  • From: "Chan, Edward K" <edward.k.chan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:59:55 -0800

I've been thinking about this problem for a while too, and here's what I
think I figured out:

The requirement for an inductance matrix to be physical is that it is
positive definite. Thus L11 * L22 - L12 * L12 > 0. This is similar to
other equations described by others previously.

Hence, it is possible that L12 is larger than the smaller of L11, L22.

So what physical system exhibits this --> essentially transformers:

Imagine two concentric coils with identical loop area placed infinitely
close to each other. Then L12 is very close to L11 (and L22).=20

Now we double the windings of the second coil. If we integrate the flux
over the area of the first coil (single winding), we find that the flux
from the second coil (two windings) is larger than the flux from itself
(first coil with one winding). Therefore, L12 is larger than L11.

Now, what structures on typical PCBs exhibit this behavior?

Imagine a microstrip line over a ground plane has a certain L11 and L22.
Now put a ground plane over this microstrip to create a stripline. With
the top and bottom planes tied together at the near and far ends, we
will get a 2x2 inductance matrix. When the signal trace is narrower
(~<0.5X) than the ground planes, the additional ground plane will reduce
the effective inductance of the ground plane such that it is less than
the mutual inductance between the signal and ground.=20

I haven't investigated all the conditions under which these observations
are true, but I believe L12 can exceed L11 or L22.

I have simulated the coils and the stripline in Fasthenry, and can
provide the simple input decks to anyone interested.

Edward Chan
Intel

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:21:06 -0700
From: "Ray Anderson" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>

A question for the E&M gurus on the list:
=3D20

Are there any conditions (pathological or not) that the
mutual inductance between two conductors can be greater than
the self inductance of either one?

=3D20

Since L12 =3D3D k * sqrt(L1*L2) and the coupling factor k must
be -1 < k < 1 then  this would seem to imply that L12  must
be less than or equal to geometric mean of the self
inductances. However this leaves open the possibility the Lm
could be > than one or the other which flies in the face of
the commonly made assertion that Lm must be less than
either. It seems that there must be other qualifying
statements to made regarding the relationship to the self
and mutual inductances.

=3D20

Going back to some of the basic fundamental relationships
(such as Grover's formulas) I can convince myself that for
circular conductors
L12 must be less than or equal to either L1 or L2, but how
about the mutual coupling between some other structures say
a signal trace and large planar structure that isn't
intended to be be a signal return path but very well may be
?

=3D20

I've got a field solver reporting Lm being 2 to 3 times
Lself  on one particular problem. I'm trying to determine if
the solver is having a difficult time dealing with the
particular geometries involved or if it is indeed possible
despite the common  wisdom to the contrary.

=3D20

Any comments  one way or the other are appreciated.

=3D20

Regards,

=3D20

-Ray