[SI-LIST] Re: Buried Microstrips

  • From: "Alexander Ippich" <Alexander.Ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ty Beeman" <ty.beeman@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:58:56 +0200

Hi Ty, Logan,

as Steve already pointed out, there is a reason, why people use 2D simulation
programs to predict impedance as "accurately" as possible instead of closed
loop equations.

The equations are typically ok for a very limited range of the independent
variables (like dielectric thickness, Dk,...). So if you try to use them, make
sure to check for what ranges they are valid.

In general, I would not use the closed loop equations for anything else as a
first indication or to find out how sensitive impedance is to a given change in
an independent variable.

Instead, we use a 2D field solver to extract impedance out of the geometrical
sizes and the Dk and Df values for the dielectrics.
However, since these field solvers can be expensive, let me point you to two
free solvers, that are quite ok regarding accuracy.

The first (http://mdtlc.sf.net) is pretty simple. Can handle trapezoid shaped
lines two dielectrics with different Dk. However, dissipation factor is not
used.

The second one (http://mmtl.sourceforge.net/) is really nice. You can have
basically arbitrary stackups with many dielectrics. Also gives much more
parameters, like C, L and R-matrix. Unfortunately, it disregards loss tangent
values (though you can type them in) and it's also not looking at frequency.
It's also not calculating total loss.But beside that, it looks really good.

Best luck,
alex

Alexander Ippich
Sr. Signal Integrity Engineer

Multek Germany
Multilayer Technology GmbH & Co. KG
Herrenberger Strasse 110
71034 Boeblingen - Germany
Phone      +49 7031 211 3375
Fax        +49 7031 211 5309
VoIP       6666 310 3375# (internal use only)
Email      alexander.ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pers. haftender Gesellschafter: Multilayer Technology Geschäftsführungs GmbH,
Geschäftsführer: Werner Widmann
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRA242264,
http://www.multek.com

Creating value that increases customer competitiveness