[SI-LIST] Re: Buried Microstrips

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ty Beeman" <ty.beeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:01:26 -0600

Ty,
You might look at "Networks and Devices Using Planar Transmission Lines",
DiPaolo.  The equations yield excellent insight into non-coupled and coupled
line theory.  You can get a good match for the effective relative
permittivity by adjusting the value of "h", where "h" is the height of the
conductive enclosure boundary above the trace (similar to the solver
approach).  The equation set should yield solutions as good as or better
than the authors you have mentioned for the non-coupled case.  You are
talking exclusively about the non-coupled case, right?  However, be aware
that closed-form solutions break down when you use them for coupled lines.
Error can be as high as 30%.  A simple 2-D solver will yield far more
accurate results when you need to know Zodd, Zeven, and crosstalk.

Ken