[SI-LIST] Re: Backplane speed

  • From: "Kihong Kim" <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:42:31 -0400

Thanks for your inputs and Tom's.
Let's focus more one at a time. Regarding FEC (Question # 4),
I have seen FEC in 10GBASE-KR (a kind of backplane std) discussion. You
might find one material if you link to
http://www.ieee802.org/802_tutorials/july06/10GBASE-KR_FEC_Tutorial_1407.pdf

Problem I have is I haven't follow up the discussion so I don't know the
detail

Is there anyone who could give me some more background on this?

For 3G backplane, do they (system companies) fully utilize
the preemphasis/equalizer today without ANY issues?
For example, 10^-12 BER requirement in terms of Jitter, Attenuation( S11 in
conjunction with SNR), SSN(how many channels with good scalability will
be practically fired from one blade to the fabric card through backplane)
and power consumption in case increased number of interconnections due to
its Automatic Gear (it is kind of starightforward to guess most automatic
controller , in this case adaptible/or fixed signal compensation means,
consumes much more power consumption than Classical ones).

These are the questions in my mind to solve Gedanken experiment for my
customer (more for question #4).

Any inputs/feedback/your advice will be pretty much appreciated.

Regards,

Kihong Joshua Kim
SI Consultant in Photonics and Electronics

On 4/26/07, Tom Biggs <tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> =20

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net