[SI-LIST] Backplane speed

  • From: "Kihong Kim" <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:52:48 -0400

Dear SI professionals,
Could anyone give some inputs for *backplane interconncetion* (chip on
blade-to-backplane-to-chip on blade)?
I want to hear especially your opinion to start the project I am engaged in
right now.

1. What is the state of the art technolgy for backplane interconnection?

2. Are signal impairment compensation technolgy, such as Pre-emphasis,
equalizer etc, are practically well applied in real design world? Or is it
just a sales pitch? (3G, 6G, 10G, 40G,..)

3. I know some designers suppress these features and stick to classical
external termination method because of, FOR EXAMPLE, the issues like SSN,
power consumption etc. Do you have Other issues?

4. For technolgy I see the issues for latency (few hundreds nanosec for
FEC..) and power consumption (total bay power constraints...). Any opinion
on this?

5. Would temperature mean to SI for high-speed backplane? If it does, what
sensitity?

6. Want to discuss for today's and two years after technolgy, in terms of
speed (bit/sec) associated to the specific technolgy (mostly serial IO
technolgy, I presume).

 I am having trouble to get these kind of infos because most vendors are so
conservative for their IP issues.

Best Regards,

Kihong Joshua Kim
SI Consultant, Photonics and Electronics

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: