[SI-LIST] Re: Ac threshold timings

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kalyan.krishnan02@xxxxxxxxx" <kalyan.krishnan02@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:34:54 +0000

Krishna,

There are two factors which effect which threshold to assume. First is that
the AC and DC thresholds can change
depending on speed bin. At higher speed bins the threshold tend to get
tighter. The tighter thresholds help
enable the higher speeds. Then within each speed bin you have a standard AC
threshold and a reduced
AC threshold, which evokes a setup penalty. The lower threshold can produce
better margins, despite the penalty,
in heavy loading cases where slew rate is very slow and/or eye height is small.

As far as derating at slew rates above 2V/ns, technically the derating
continues the increase above 2V/ns, based on
the original derating theory, but some empirical data suggests you can freeze
derating at the value shown for 2V/ns
with minimal risk.

Brian Moran
Intel Corporation