[SI-LIST] AW: relation between rise time and trace length

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mohamed Ali Gazi" <mohamedaligazi@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:40:45 +0100

Hi Mohammed,

if your thinking would be correct, then how could anyone possibly send 10GBps
signals over a 19" Backplane?

I think you mixed something up. As long as your tracelength is shorter than the
risetime, you don't have to think too much about impedance controlled traces.
Traces longer than the risetime do need the right impedance to avoid
reflections and other nasty effects. The return path length is not added to the
tracelength of this rule of thumb.
For high speeds make sure the return path length is not exceeding the signal
path length (yet another rule of thumb).

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Torsten Ratzmann