[SI-LIST] AW: Re: AW: Re: optimize Equalization and De-emphasis settings

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:34:01 +0100

Hi Scott,

many thanks for the detailed clarification. This was exactly the answer I was
looking for, even though I was hoping there is an easier way. I tested impulse
response and frequency sweep simulation for the models, but didn get a response
at all. I also tested step response which somehow worked, but the output didn't
make much sense. I think the models aren't throughly linear, even though the
input and output stages seem to be.

Based on that I will go ahead with "trial and error" settings sweep to find the
optimum.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded online and offline for their effort
and support.

BR
Gert

http://www.mesago.de/de/SPS/home.htm

Besuchen sie uns auf der SPS/IPC/Drives in Nürnberg, vom 23. - 25. November
2010, in Halle 10, Stand 130.

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Edgar-Peter Duening, Torsten Ratzmann
#2 is amenable to the approaches that multiple people have suggested.

#1 is a PITA.  If the switches operate in the linear amplification region, then
this is just a cascaded amplifier/equalizer problem, not unlike a video cable
system.  You have to keep the signal in the linear region at all inputs, above
the noise floor of the input amplifier, and below the clipping region.  In that
case, each switch and interconnect can be handled as a transfer function,
modeled as s-parameters, and optimized accordingly. But ... you need to know
what they are.

If any of the amplifiers clip then you have the impact of clipping on the
spectrum, which then causes the transfer function to be dependent on the
received signal waveform.  If the clipping is reasonably predictable, then you
still might be able to use linear assumptions.

If limiting amplifiers are used in the silicon, then you have a really nasty
non-linear problem, since a limiting amplifier looks like a digital sampler
with amplitude as the trigger, but with finite gain. The transfer response
changes with time.

If I were attempting to optimize this (and thankfully I'm not!) I would try to
characterize the switch that you're using, and determine just how linear it is
from input to output with whatever the nominal equalization is. If the switch
is fully composed of linear amplifiers, and no switch elements, then you can
perform frequency domain sweeps from input to output, with the input biased to
the correct common mode voltage, and a variable differential p-p voltage across
multiple sweeps.  This will give you a series of curves that describe the
transfer function as a function of input amplitude. With some luck, you'll find
a linear sweet spot that is large enough to allow for latitude in optimization.
 If the model is not amenable to FD sweeps, then just perform impulse response
simulations at various amplitudes and derive the transfer response.

If there is limiting or clipping going on, then you might be able to
characterize the silicon at an amplitude low enough to stay out of the
clipping/limiting region that is linear, and then model the limiting amplifier
behaviorally.

Once you find a characterization method that "works" then use the p-p voltage
in the center of the linear range to characterize each equalizer setting in the
switch. From these, you can derive a simplified model for each equalizer boost
setting.

Good luck

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

List technical documents are available at: