[SI-LIST] Re: optimize Equalization and De-emphasis settings

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:46:24 -0700

Hi Steve,

As was stated in the original question: "I'm looking for some technique or
algorithm to determine the desired amount of equalization just by examining
each silicon's input signal". Therefore I think that the purpose was to find
equalization in every analog portion separately. Digital processing in the
silicon itself is not involved.

We cannot generate the combined 4-port model that includes switches and
channels, or equally we shouldn't produce combined model for the channels
separated by switches. Switch is not something that can contribute to the
transfer function or S-parameters, because it is a heavily non-linear
transformation - similar to A/D converter.

Logically, it also does not make sense to combine links because if the first
switch fails (produces incorrect bit) all others should fail too, and no
equalization in the subsequent links will help. Therefore equalization should
be constructed separately for each analog link.

In Hyperlynx FastEye, there is a possibility to find optimal set of FFE and DFE
taps, given the channel schematic, S-parameters or its equivalent step or pulse
response.

Vladimir