[SI-LIST] Re: AW: FR4 Permittivity

  • From: "Bill Hargin \(In-Circuit Design\)" <b.hargin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cyril.chastang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:13:37 -0800

Hi Cyril:

As you're suspecting, a Dk of 2.173 is simply beyond the reach of FR-4.  The
lowest Dk I know of for 370HR is 3.63, and that would be with 71% resin for
2 mil thickness, 106 glass at 5-10GHz.  I don't the discrepancy here has
anything to do with resin content, frequency, or temperature, however, as
even 100% resin wouldn't get you to that value at any temperature or
frequency.  I see this kind of thing at least once a week, where a PCB
fabricator - who is serving a bunch of customers every month - fails or
forgets to edit a value (Dk, Zo, Zdiff, etc.) from a previous customer's
stackup spreadsheet (or PDF, by the time it gets to you).  In fact, this is
my second one of these *today*.  (The other one involved FR406.)

It's one of those caveat emptor situations ("let the buyer beware").  In my
opinion, engineers should be planning and validating stackups themselves to
make sure that this  foundational component of SI, timing, crosstalk, and
EMC is dialed in properly.  Trusting your company's 1000s of hours of design
work to someone who has probably never designed a PCB, is serving 50++
customers per month, and who understands fabrication processes, but not
electrical details of your design doesn't make sense to me.

Our dielectric library (available in our eval) has the Dk numbers you're
looking for.  (www.icd.com.au > Stackup Planner > Evaluation.)

Bill Hargin
In-Circuit Design, USA
Software & SI Simulation for High-Speed PCB Design
(425) 301-4425 • b.hargin@xxxxxxxxxx • Skype: bill.hargin
Online:  www.icd.com.au