[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Effect of temperature on at 200C for DDR3/4 boards

  • From: Bill Martin <wcmartin1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: barthi1@xxxxxxxxx, Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:36:23 -0800 (PST)

Barthi,

A few more items:

For cold temps, you will find the fastest ICs (which might cause timing issues
in your design) and also the highest current consumption.

For cold temps, you will find the slowest ICs (which might cause timing issues).

Make sure you do purchase the right ICs for the environment you need your
product to operate within.  Products are only guaranteed for the conditions
that Mfgs warrant.  This does not mean Mfgs do full temperature testing;
especially at cold since IC handlers tend to freeze up and get icy).  Many Mfgs
will do characterization experiments to determine how to improve test
efficiency (less testing, no burn-in, less test time) while still being able to
screen and ship good devices (100% functionality throughout the operating
voltage, temperature and silicon mfg).  Most testing will be performed with
slight temperature guardbands (+2-5 degrees of a spec;  70->74, 85->90, 125->
128) and if Mfgs can avoid (with characterization proof) that cold temp testing
(especially down to -40 or -55) is not required, they will not perform.

regards,
Bill
--- On Wed, 12/16/09, Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: AW: Effect of temperature on at 200C for DDR3/4 boards
To: barthi1@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 3:00 PM

Hi,

I would agree with the previous answers ... don't worry on the PCB
performance to much, the degradation of the silicon is what you need to
take care.
On DRAM side it is not only the change in the OCD (output drivers), but
also the refresh timings are getting quite short for 100°C.
So you really need to do worst case corner simulations over the whole
temperature range.

I guess reliability is something you anyhow take a closer look for your
temperature range ..

regards

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow