[SI-LIST] Re: AC series capacitor position in high speeddifferential signals

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:20:07 -0400

Lee
I don't trust measurements and models that do not agree, either.  Which
is why Tom, Al and myself have invested  several thousand hours of our
own time into perfecting our modeling and measurement correlation
capabilities.

The problem with measurements that have not been properly de-embedded
(reference plane moved to the DUT) is that what we measure for return
loss (reflections) has been attenuated by 2X the attenuation of the
trace leading into the DUT.  The measurement therefore only applies to a
system with exactly the same trace configuration. For example, if one
measures the discontinuity of a DC blocking capacitor with 5" of lead in
trace, the measured return loss (or impedance discontinuity) will be
reduced by the attenuation of the trace at the frequencies of interest.
For mildly low frequencies, trace attenuation is fairly low.  But as the
frequency requirements increase, so does the distortion of the
measurement due to the lead-in trace.

The way around this is to either measure very close to the DUT
(capacitor) with microprobes, or to use VNA de-embedding to move the
reference plane as close as possible to the DUT (our preference), ...
and (This is important) utilize known analytical reference structures
for initial correlation. Thus the Beatty standard that can be seen in a
few of our TRL papers.  We do this routinely at Teraspeed Consulting to
obtain extremely high quality measurements, which can then be compared
to models, and validated to the accuracy of the instruments.  Thus far
we've validated the process with 1% error from DC to 40 GHz.

In my opinion, all of the interesting problems in signal integrity are
return loss (reflection) related, and certainly the placement of DC
blocking capacitors fall into that category. And some of the more
interesting problems often end up being short, rather than long
channels, due to reduced dampening of reflections, and what is termed by
some as "unequalizable energy."

best regards,

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Lee Ritchey wrote:
> I don't trust either if they don't agree.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: