[SI-LIST] A question about the radius of via hole structure

  • From: fangod <fangod@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:59:00 +0800 (CST)

Hello everyone:
Recently, I studied the signal integrity of the via hole structure. I have a
question about the impactof the radius of a via hole. In the paper " Full Wave
Characterization of a Through Hole Via Using the Matrix-Penciled Moment
Method", the author Show-Gwo concluded that " Fig. 10 depicts that the
reflection and radiation loss decrease for smaller via radius ". that means the
radius is smaller, the S21 parameter will be better. But I express scepticism,
I built some via hole model
in HFSS, and simulation results shows the radius is bigger, the S21 parameter
is better.
 I think that the Show-Gwo getted his conclusions, because he use the
Pocklington function, the via hole is seemed as thinwire, the radius is
smaller, the solution is better. But that doesn't means in practicalsituation,
the the radius is smaller, the S21 parameter will be better.
      Am I wrong? or the author Show-Gwo's results have someproblems?
      Looking forward toyour reply, thx.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: