[SI-LIST] Re: 550 Mbps LVDS Cable and Connector Help

  • From: "Ravinder Ajmani" <ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodb@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:41:50 -0700

Rod,
You should have no problem using twisted flat ribbon cable at your signal
speed.  SCSI supports  twisted flat cable for a data rate of 160 Mb/s per
data line (320 MB/s for the bus at a clock rate of 80 MHz) over 12 meters
with multidrop, and 25 meter for point-to-point transmission.

Regards, Ravinder
PCB Development and Design Department
IBM Corporation
Email: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

                      Rod Barman

                      <rodb@xxxxxxxx>          To:       si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      si-list-bounce@fr        Subject:  [SI-LIST] 550 Mbps
LVDS Cable and Connector
                      eelists.org               Help

                      07/09/2002 10:33

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      rodb

Hi All,

I'm hoping them some kind folks can help me out with a cost effective
connector
and cable solution to transmit LVDS signals 50cm or less.  We have
5 channel link 100 ohm differential pairs up to a remote circuit board and
5 differential
channel link 100 ohm pairs down.  The clock rate is 75 MHz which turns into
a bit rate of
525 Mpbs on the data lines.  I don't believe ribbon cable twisted or not
would work at
these speeds and distances.

If possible we'd like to use something off the shelf or at least readily
available. It
looks like Tyco's precision interconnect and 3M have lots of suitable
solutions but
they all appear to be quite expensive.

DVI comes close but doesn't have enough available pairs.  I was wondering
if SCSI VHDCI
cables and connectors might work, even though this would give us an excess
of pairs.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks --rod.

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: