[SI-LIST] Re: 2.5Gbps

  • From: Dorin <dorin.oprea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:13:31 -0400

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for you reply. Can we go through an example?
1) We have BER=10e-6; thus,
     Poe=0.5*(1-erf)*sqrt(Eb/No)
     I need to take a  value for erf, error function, to get Eb/No =>
erf=?
     Eb= energy in one bit
     No= noise power density
     => Eb/No
2) S/N=(Eb/No)*R/W
    N=0.05V
    S= wanted unknown
    R=2.5Gb/s
    W= signal energy sent into the line; suppose W=20mW
    => S
3) S=0.1+Smargin
    0.1V is the signal threshold
    => Smargin which is the requested value
Is it correct?  How do I determine erf?

Best regards,
Dorin

"Zabinski, Patrick J." wrote:

> Dorin,
>
> The answer will come down to the target bit error rate your
> shooting for with the link.  From that, you can determine
> the signal to noise ratio, which will lead you to some
> specs for the signal strength.
>
> There is literature on the web and in text to get you going,
> but I suggest you start with the basics on bit error rate
> analysis related to signal to noise ratio.  This will give
> you a good idea how they relate and how you can eventually
> derermine the signal margin you want.
>
> As an example (not necessarily applicable to your situation),
> you might determine a bit error rate (BER) of 10^-12 is
> sufficient for your link.  From that, you can determine a
> signal to noise ratio (SNR) of 7:1 is required.
>
> You'll then have to determine or estimate your effective RMS
> noise on your link.  For typical links, 40-50 mV of RMS noise
> is a reasonable guess, which will then determine that you
> need a 280-350 mV opening within the eye diagram (note: 280-350
> mV opening from threshold to inside portion of eye).
>
> Again, this is an example that is not specifically related to
> your application, so you'll want to perform your own analysis.
> Also, I highly recommend you read up on the topic of BER
> vs SNR, as it will help you with some of the basics and
> the not-so-basic issues.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Pat
>
> > Hi,
> > There is a 2.5Gbps system link through the back plane with an
> > interconnect length of 35".
> > What should be the simulated voltage level for a receiver with 100mV
> > threshold so that one can be confident in his design?
> > Is it 200mV (2*100mV) sufficient? What is preferred value?
> > How much jitter on the simulated eye is accepted?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dorin

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: dorin.oprea.vcf