[SI-LIST] Re: 2.5Gbps

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:12:19 -0500

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for you reply. Can we go through an example?
1) We have BER=10e-6; thus,
     Poe=0.5*(1-erf)*sqrt(Eb/No)
     I need to take a  value for erf, error function, to get Eb/No => erf=?
     Eb= energy in one bit
     No= noise power density
     => Eb/No

Yes, but not quite.  The Eb/No ratio comes from basic communcations theory,
and it

assumes that the receiver is able to integrate the energy over an entire bit
period

before sampling.  In the majority of digital serial links, the receivers do
not integrate

the incoming signal, so you need to compensate for it by adding a
fudge-factor

of sorts.  For digital circuits with common detection circuits, the simple
signal

to noise level is sufficiently-equivalent to the Eb/No, and works well in
this

analysis.  Note: Signal is the distance from the signal level to the
threshold

level, and noise is the RMS noise level, both given in voltage.

Also, I think the Poe formula is slightly incorrect.  I believe it should be

    Poe = 0.5 * {1 - erf[SNR/Sqrt(2)]}

I believe this equation is probably what's leading you astray.

"erf" is a version of a cumlative distribution function based on the normal
distribution

function (i.e., Guassian distributions).  It is simply scaled in value and
parameters from BER,

and I believe it is not what you are looking for.  Essentially, BER = 0.5 *
(1 - erf), so

for BER = 10^-6, erf = 1 - 0.000002 = 0.999998.

 From this, for a BER = 10^-6, you should end up with an SNR requirement of

4.7-4.8.

2) S/N=(Eb/No)*R/W
    N=0.05V
    S= wanted unknown
    R=2.5Gb/s
    W= signal energy sent into the line; suppose W=20mW
    => S

Again, the data rate analysis is based on optimal receivers which integrate
the

incoming signal over a bit's period.  I don't believe this set of info is
directly

relevant (at least to the first order) in most common digital links.

3) S=0.1+Smargin
    0.1V is the signal threshold
    => Smargin which is the requested value

With SNR target of 4.8, you have a basic starting point to work from.
However,

you probably don't know the noise level quite yet, so it will be difficult
to get a

signal margin requirement.  One way to look at it is to set your signal
level

(say, the 200 mV you originaly suggested) and extract the max noise

(200 / 4.8 = 42 mV).

The key to keep in mind is that BER is directly dependent upon signal
strength

and noise levels.  You cannot determine BER without both of these (or at
least

their ratio).  Accordingly, if you are given a BER requirement, you are then
left

with one equation (the SNR ratio) and two unknowns (signal and noise
levels).

Is it correct?  How do I determine erf?

A gain, I believe the first formula has led you astray. "erf" is the formula
you use

to determine BER; it is not a parameter per say.

   Best regards,
Dorin

Hope this helps a little bit, and good luck.

Pat

List archives are viewable at: