[SI-LIST] Re: 0306 Capacitors

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:04:30 -0800

Isvtan more responses, more editing for manageability:
At 09:06 AM 3/12/2004 -0500, Istvan NOVAK wrote:
>Steve,
>
>See comments below.  (A big part of the past thread has been cut out.)
>
>Regards,
>Istvan
>

> > Intuitively maybe, but realizing the pattern is no easy trick.  The
> > distance from pad edge to pad edge for the 0612 reverse geometry is
> > 0.025".  There is no way I know of to put two rows of vias in that
> > space.  If I go to a 0.020" hole with a 0.010" via, the best I could hope
> > to do is get one of the via rows inside the pad.  If you know of vias with
> > a 0.010" OD maybe things would change.
>

>I agree that it may not bne easy, but today aspect ratios above ten become
>cheap enough to use them on low-cost boards.  Also, if you move just one
>row of vias in between the pads, it already reduces the inductance.  In
>addition, there is a possibility to put vias (two at least) very close at
>the end
>of the pads.

6:1 is cheap, 10:1 I am not so sure.  But either way we can do a 10 mil
hole in an .062 board.  Fair is fair, I will run models and ask X2Y to
build with such patterns, and while it will yield some improvement to the
reverse geometry caps, it is not going to make them either match the X2Ys,
nor is it going to change the fact that they are much more expensive.

The self inductance of an 0612 reverse geometry part is right about
500pH.  Even if we get the total attachment inductance down to zero, this
is going to be much higher than an IDC or X2Y mounted.  We are in agreement
are we not that for high Q the insertion loss above SRF is essentially:

Zs / ( jw( ESL + Lattach ) ) ?

For IDC and X2Y we start with an ESL of 120pH, whereas for 0603 and 0612 we
start with 450-500pH.

> > As I pointed out above, transfer impedance is exactly what we want,
>because
> > that is what we face in a real board.  Raw device characterization is a
> > separate issue.  You say that because the board impedance is high that it
> > is easy to modify with the capacitor impedance.  Well, of course that is
> > true, but I fail to see where it bears anywhere on the accuracy of the
> > tests.  It would only matter if changing the area of the board had a
>marked
> > effect on the attachment inductance of the capacitor.  I am not aware of
> > any physics that could support such a conclusion.
>

>I agree that transfer impedance is important, but self impedance still
>cannot
>be ignored in some applications.  As it was pointed out earlier on similar
>threads, some applications require capacitors near and around devices to
>provide a given inductance to the device.

As I mentioned with the equation above, sure the combination is what sets
the insertion loss.  But that is precisely the objection by sharp people to
a presentation of raw ESL from a test fixture and the whole point of the 4
layer test vehicle.  And this test vehicle is small enough that we don't
run into lambda effects until well above 300MHz.  So, I contend it provides
a very clear, and easily scalable picture, whereas a larger test vehicle
would obscure the mounted capacitor at frequencies that may be of concern.

Now, the next question is what happens on a board such as Chai has with
lots of layers and power and ground close to the surface?  What is going to
happen is the difference between ordinary capacitors and X2Ys / IDCs will
be magnified, as the diluting effect of long vias diminishes.  It is also
going to favor IDCs slightly on a per capacitor basis due to sheer via
count, while favoring X2Ys on a per via count basis.

> > Let's suppose that we build a 12" X 12" board instead of the 1.2" X 1.2"
> > fixture used.  The much lower impedance of the board would make it much
> > more difficult to see the behavior of a single capacitor.  However, if
> > since we scaled the board by 100X area, we place 100 capacitors instead of
> > one, essentially one capacitor for each of the 1.2" X 1.2" cells
>reproduced
> > in the 12" by 12" board, I submit that all behavior will remain identical
> > up until we approach the anti-resonance of the discretes to the planes,
> > which will now be down around 150MHz, instead of well above 1GHz.  We
>would
> > have a 2 milliohm system out to 100MHz instead of a 200 milliohm system.
> >
> > If you would like raw part data obtained from microstrip fixtures, both
>X2Y
> > and their licensee manufacturers have this.  An X2Y 0603 routinely and
> > repeatedly measures 120pH raw, just as AVX reports for the 0612 IDC.  To
> > get under those values, one has to go to the 0508 IDC, 95pH or to a larger
> > X2Y.  The "king of the mountain" in X2Y is the 1210 at a measured
> > inductance of 50pH.  My results match results obtained independently by
> > Yageo.  In raw inductance numbers, the only games in town are X2Y or
> > IDC.  Unfortunately, IDC is comparatively very expensive.  If AVX would
> > drop the price of IDCs to a nickel, they would be very compelling parts.
> >
> > We tested multiple locations to precisely to verify that there is no
> > location dependency such as you suggest.  That data is shown in the
>report,
> > where only the slightest variation in ESR was observed by moving from a
> > center edge location to a corner position in the test area.
>
>There has been no disagreement here.

Great!  As the obscure management video "The Abilene Paradox" demonstrates
sometimes its managing agreements that proves most difficult.

> > If you wish to suggest an alternative test methodology, I am happy to
>model
> > against it, and more than likely X2Y would likely execute it to get
> > everyone on the same page.
>
>First I would like to fully understand the present test board.  Have you
>done
>reference measurements with the capacitor pads shorted?

No, only open, but we can readily perform those.  I would suggest that such
tests should short only pads associated with a single DUT location at a
time using a sheet of foil or solder braid.  I expect that the resulting
and the ESL lines of the current measurements up to anti resonance which
will be much more pronounced due to lower ESR of the shorting material.  Do
you agree with the methodology and expected results?

Regards,

Steve.

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help: