[SI-LIST] Re: 0306 Capacitors

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Weir" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Farah.Haddadin@xxxxxxxxx,"Ken Patterson" <pattken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:51:57 -0800

Steve,

Looked at the data from X2Y.  Most of the tests use two different values of
capacitor, the value used for the X2Y making it look better.  (IDC 470 nF,
X2Y 56 nF)  (0612 100 nF, X2Y 56 nF)  I could get the same results with the
same skewed tests.  Sadly, this is a common problem with vendor furnished
data.  Remember Getek?

I was really interested in tests you have personally made that demonstrate
true A-B comparisons on a PCB that is representative of a real power
subsystem, as we have done.  What I mean by that is examine impedance vs.
frequency for a PCB with enough plane capacitance to support the switching
transients seen when driving data buses, etc.  When you do that, you are
going to come to the same conclusions that we did- not worth the extra
resources and not worth forcing your manufacturer to use a single sourced
part.

  Remember, what counts is the frequency at which the capacitor is series
resonant and that is a combination of the value of C and total ESL.  For
all of the examples shown it is less than 30 MHz.  Switching harmonics
usually start abouve 100 MHz.

Final comment on the data is the vertical scale is in db.  It would be of
far greater value if it were in milliohms.  Then we could tell more about
what these capacitors do for us in the power subsystem.

Lee

<pattken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 3/10/2004 3:17:18 PM
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: 0306 Capacitors
>
> Lee, the file is available on X2Y's web site, but I have attached it here
> as well.  I spoke with Dave Anthony, dave@xxxxxxx and he will be happy to
> supply you with one of the test boards if you like.
>

> Regards,
>

> Steve.
> At 01:50 PM 3/10/2004 -0800, Lee Ritchey wrote:
> >Steve,
> >
> >How about sharing the actual test results with us?
> >
> >Lee

PCB
> >space
> >this.

Subject
> >field

Subject
> >field

Subject
> >field

> > > or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
> > > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> > >
> > > For help:
> > > si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
> > >
> > > List technical documents are available at:
> > >                 http://www.si-list.org
> > >
> > > List archives are viewable at:
> > >               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > > or at our remote archives:
> > > Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
> > >               http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> >For help:
> >
> >List technical documents are available at: