[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: weak pasterns

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx>, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:11:21 -0600

Well, I have a cautionary tale.

I've been fighting elevated liver enzymes in my Luke since November. My boy
is on $400 a month medications plus blood tests at $65 every couple of
weeks. He has no symptoms -- only the fact that I'm totally neurotic allowed
us to zero in on the problem at the very beginning. By the time most dogs
show symptoms, the damage to the liver has been done. Aside from attending a
huge all-breed show two weeks before he got sick, we have NO idea what
happened.

This is a dog with a compromised immune system. Put on multiple medications,
he liver enzymes began to decrease and then suddenly, went back up.  A lot.
The vet asked me to put him on Hill's LD, and I did. I didn't read the
ingredients in the office, but when I got home, I freaked. First ingredient
is Rice; second is pork fat. OMG!!!!!!

My vet and Barb Williams convinced me to stick with it for a week, and in
that week, his ALT enzyme dropped from 1264 to 843. Two weeks later, it was
739.

I KNOW this food is crap, but the enzymes are coming down. I won't keep him
on this long term, but for the moment, as Barb convinced me, "don't screw
with success."

I've always fed Canidae with added "fresh" protein -- Liver diets are WAY
low in protein. I thought I was doing the right thing, but . . .

And this is the thing that makes me freaked out about feeding raw [please
folks, don't fry me] -- I don't think I KNOW enough. Why should feeding a
totally crap food make my dog improve??????

Fran Henry