[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: virtues vs faults

  • From: BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:47:17 EDT

In a message dated 3/12/2008 5:32:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a  problem with any judge who focuses on faults instead of the
animal's  virtues.

   I wholeheartedly agree with the statement above. Which brings  up a
question...
   I own a gorgeous red & black bitch, correct  conformation, plushy coat &
perfect temperament. She's a super sidegaiter  and she's clean coming & going.
A very flashy girl who loves to move.  Several big name breeders have told me
is a top quality bitch so it's  not just my opinion. The problem being this,
when she was around 3.5 months she  dug her way out of her run and was then
confronted by a  bitch aggressive adult. She was attacked & her left ear is
damaged, requiring stiches. I acquired this bitch after this  attack because
she's
so nice (as well as being sired by a stud dog I bred  & co-own).I was willing
to take on the challenge of getting her ear to  stand. Lucky, I was
eventually able to get her ear to stand BUT it  leans outward a bit & it's
weaker then
the other ear.  The scaring affects the way the hair lays where the ear
connects  with her head. Due the incredible quality of this bitch I have been
tempted  to show her but I am unsure how her injured ear & the resulting fault
in
ear carriage would affect her chances of finishing her  championship.
     So, hypothetically speaking if such a bitch  entered the ring & you
(everyone) were judging would you be able  to overlook the ear fault & judge
her
on her overall quality? I look forward  to hearing everyone's opinions.

Bonnie  Jenkins
BonJen Shepherds
_www.BonJen.com_ (http://www.BonJen.com)