[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the little secret.... unsound MOVEMENT

  • From: Diane Wright <diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 12:59:07 -0400

My 2 cents...  ;-)

I tend with my dogs... herding, but on Course C, which mimics the German
style/HGH type of livestock management. The dog patrols a large grazing area,
while the sheep feed. The smaller areas are around 100 x 200, so one gets to
see a lot of movement.

IMO, the dogs who are better put together have 2 trots. Once is a lah dee dah,
floaty, energy conserving trot. I see this on the graze when the sheep are
nowhere near a border & the dog knows life is good. If a sheep wanders near the
edge, the dog has to cover it (be in its line of site to influence the sheep's
movement) he shifts into a faster trot to get to where he's needed quickly
(this is done without commands from the handler, btw. The dog sees an issue &
'fixes' it on his own initiative). The shift is visible as the dog lengthens
his stride, lowers his center of gravity & moves off.

The dogs who aren't put together as well gallop instead of shift.

The faster trot is controlled & purposeful, compared to the manic-ish racing
trot of the dogs in a show ring. I'd imagine the racing trot would not last in
a herding dog. If the dog was smart, he'd shift into something more reality
based, if he wasn't, he'd burn out.

Ymmv... your mileage may vary ;-)

Diane Wright
& CH Laxfield's Cold Hard Cash HScs

The natural gait of the German Shepherd Dog is the slow to medium trot and our
breed has 3 gaits--walk(pace), slow to medium trot, and gallop nothing else!!!!
Anything else is not correct---it is not how fast but how efficient and
buoyancy and balance are critical.

The front reach goes to the tip of the nose maximum.
The rear is the engine the back is the transmission and the front is the
steering mechanism.
The rear contributes approximately 95-97% of the power with the front
approximately 3 to 5 %.
The GSD is not a race horse and the natural gait allows the maximum
functionality--the original intent-"a herding breed" with the ability to
function in many other areas.
That is why our breed is the "greatest purebred dog"
Thanks,