[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .. the little secret... unsound MOVEMENT

  • From: Randy Chesnut <rchesnut70502@xxxxxxx>
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 21:02:56 -0400 (EDT)

Of course its that simple.
Why would a knowlegeable judge need, under suitable condition, more than
several minutes per dog?.  Better be a very large class to take two hours.
Measuring how far this foot should go where, neck should be here. All very
important!!  Many of us who judge sometimes overjudge.  You've heard the
expression, "milking it"......I see no reason to go over an animal like I'm
giving it a massage.  If the parts are there, and work as they should you'll
see it when the  dog moves immediately.  If doesn' work, you will see that to.
When we start picking each part apart, we loose the total dog. ( Speaking as a
judge, not a breeder)  We all know what a good one looks like.  Understand the
standard, and judge by it as best you can.  You owe it to the breed.  And if
you don't understand, stop judging!

Just my 2 cents worth,
Randy C

From: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
o: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx; lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx; rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
c: campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx; myjoygs@xxxxxxx; mustlovedogs61@xxxxxxxxx;
HOWGSD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:10 PM
ubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .. the little secret... unsound MOVEMENT

Wish it were that simple.....<G>
 dog CAN have a long stride and that sought after front extension..but
s Kathy stated below...when moving and turning and changing speeds
s in herding....."the wheels can start to come off" .....
ome dogs move beautifully� underneath...but the back has a sag..or
 hinge or a roach right behind the wither or just WAY TOO MUCH ACTION
hen moving.....and the croup is bouncing all over...the follow through
an have a hock that rotates outward to keep from dragging the toes...or
 neck carried in a right angle from the wither....or down.......YUCK!�
nother problem we are beginning to see a lot with this love affair for
ore front extension is the rear that does not "MATCH"� the front....
ence the dogs are required to FLY .... to push into the leash to drop
n the rear and "appear"� to have the rear drive.....we are starting
o see a lot of kick up when not pulling.....DOUBLE YUCK!!
Carolyn� marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ww.marhaven.com

n Behalf Of carolyn mckenna
o: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx; rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
ubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .. the little secret... unsound temperament
Kathy and Mike are both correct. �To some judges speed is the do all-end
ll. �For the
eally competent judge it is irrelevant. �When I mentor, �I mark off between
osts or
ing markers and have the person count the number of times the dog's left
oot hits the ground.
t is a great way to show a person how to become aware of the "fewer steps
o cover the ground"
oncept in our standard. � �This works even in the AB ring. �But then,
erhaps I have forgotten
hat our standard doesn't seem to mean much anymore. sigh
arolyn
________________________________
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .. the little secret... unsound temperament
speed is not a factor in this example, the tape does not lie, a given dog
an only be so effiecient The inferior animal will take more steps
egardlessof speed Now for judging purposes I agree, we can not SEE how well
hey move at Mach 1. The aforementioned 100 foot tape will remove all
oubtBut speed IS relevant Mike.� Because the racers, the fliers, 90 percent
f them have "the wheels come off" whenyou get them slow and loose.� Speed
overs faultiness, slow reveals all. Kathy� rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx

ould love to see 100 ft marked off on the great white wall at the national.
hen you all can count how many steps any given animal makes to determine
fficiency - how fast you do it is irrelevant

---
s Copyrighted 2012.� All material remains the property of the original author
nd of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
ermitted without prior permission of the original author AND of the Showgsd-l
anagement. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.� This group and
its
dministrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in any
ost.
MANNER
OST is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the original