  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:36:13 -0700

Bud will answer more, but the main thing about evap coolers (swamp
coolers) is that they MUST have windows open to work properly.  That's
something all cityfolk learn after calling to complain that the cooler
doesn't work, me included 40 years ago!  You can direct the air but
which windows are opened, too, and how much.

They cool, depending on the amount of humidity in the air, anywhere
from 15 to 25 degrees in my experience.  Any home supply store carries
them and with all the parts that need replacing.  In time, a pump will
need to be replaced, the pads (which the water drips on) need to be
replaced more often depending on the mineral content in the water.  to
run efficiently, they need to be maintained well, a thorough cleaning
in the fall and covered for the winter makes them last longer (and
look better)

There are side openings and bottom openings.  The ones on top of the
house, obviously, use the bottom openings.  Houses that are vented for
them can have ducts, but I have mostly seen one downdraft for the
housetop ones and one sidedraft opening for the sideopeners.

Bettter quit procrastinating and  get to shopping, it's going to be
hot again today:-)

Stormy