[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pericardial effusion

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:38:12 -0500

At 09:14 AM 7/29/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>When I got up this morning, my bitch Cinder, having vomited several
>times, had collapsed and could not stand. Her gums were pale and her
>breathing was labored. The emergency vet said she was suffering from
>pericardial effusion -- blood accumulated between the pericardium and
>the heart. She withdrew the blood -- a lot -- 8 to 10 oz. and gave her
>fluids, monitored her heart and stabilized her. By that time, the day
>staff had come in and they did an ultrasound of the heart. At the
>present time, they're waiting for a cardiologist to read the
>ultrasound. It could be idiopathic -- just happened, no one knows why
>-- but the vet thinks she may have a tumor on the heart --
>hemangiocarcoma. She's 8, and has always been extremely healthy. She
>had NO prior symptoms. NONE.
>
>Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone done chemo on a dog
>with this condition?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Fran Henry

Fran, back in the early 80's I had a bitch that had 3 majors, 11
points.   She seemed to be extremely healthy.
It seemed so sudden when she became terribly ill.   We took her to
University of Tennessee, Vet. school.
They said that she had Hemangiocarcomo & they treated her, did surgury to
remove the spleen & part of
the kidneys.   We then started a regime of chemo (they were sure that they
could not get all of the cancer).
Anyway, she took 2 months of chemo (three round trips of 200 miles each per
week).   She finally tested
clear.   We were lucky in that the treatments did not make her ill (except
of a few hours after each treatment).

Anyway, she went for over a year, healthy & happy though we never showed
her again.   The problem
returned over a year later & we had to let her go.   It was a terrible
experience but I would do it again.   I
still miss my Carrie girl!

good luck!!!!!
Sandy