[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: requirements

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:34:21 -0700 (PDT)

Speaking of our founder and his feelings about temperament....in his own
words....

  "The most striking features of the correctly bred German Shepherds are
firmness of nerves, attentiveness, unshockability, tractability, watchfulness,
reliability and incorruptibility together with courage, fighting tenacity and
hardness." Captain Max v Stephanitz

  I think this says it all about what makes up the correct temperament in
GSD's.  It's unfortuante that we don't give our Nationals judges more credit
for deciding what they think is sound temperament. Any dog can be trained to
pass a test and regardless of what anyone says the temperament test can be
subjective.

  I realize I am sort of contradicting the quote above but I would hate to see
a truely great dog fail to become Select because of one bad day....just as I
would hate to see a title given to an underserving dog because it was "trained"
to pass a test. I really don't think things are so black and white.

  I also think that a dogs temperament is just one of the ingredients that make
up the entire animal....it should be up to the judges in the ring that day to
determine what dog comes close to having the complete package.

   JMO
  Cindy

<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Oh I see...you know more than the founder of our breed.You are saying in
essence that we should turn our heads to what the founder of our breed
found unacceptable because YOU don't think it matters. White dogs,
undershot bites..serious faults of gait..weak backs..hanging ears doesn't
mean squat..Hell we just might as well throw the whole damn standard out
the window..after all what did Capt. Max know when we have you and other
like you who say these things don't matter? You have told me everything I
need to know.and..I think you have proven my point quite well. Now I am
going to quit mincing words. Here's the deal, for some of you this is
really about conformation vs. obedience and of course..as usual some of you
who don't exhibit in conformation can't be content with what you do..what
it boils down to is this is an "acceptance" problem for some of you..and
seems to have very little to do with the GSD. C.Grainger

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original