[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: requirements

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx" <Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx>, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:38:39 -0500

Kathy..I don' think you addressed my suggestion (or I overlooked it) As a
matter of fact MANY of you who have been very vocal about adding more for a
select have sidestepped my  suggestion, that being:.If you truly want to
raise the standard bar..then make ALL performance GSD's have a select
rating..Why just pay lip service to the total dog. Keep in mind that Bull
was a top ATAA sire for 4-5 years in a row. He had a TC..and an HIC he has
progeny that are doing schutzhund, herding, agility rally and obedience,
search and rescue. The reason he was so dominant for producing soundness in
all areas of GSD temperament( yes some bitches bred to him were not sound
by my standards) was due to our diligence in preserving good trainability
and character.That standard bar we set is probably higher than most of you
set..I know because I have had private discussions about temperament with
some of you and what some of you deem as acceptable I would not..I don't
not have a gun shy or storm shy dog at my home. When I started
conformation..I gave up obedience competition, but I still maintained that
standard of trainability and character that I had when I did obedience.I
know the subtle signs of a "spook".Signs that most of you miss even though
you tout yourselves as temperament "gurus." I know that some of you "think"
you have soundness..but some of your animals would not be sound by my
standard . Just a couple of years back a judge dismissed a dog or two for
poor temperament at a specialty show on the West coast. I heard every
excuse under the sun..naturally all were the judges fault. Now some of
these same people are requesting more stringent temperament evaluation for
selects..give me a break..easy to say when you  a)  aren't showing a
special..or b) have one not worthy of a select.Some feel, since that can't
"play" that new rules need to be made  for everyone else that is "playing".
As for a TC for conformation selects..at the end of the day..what will that
prove..a few squirts of Relax or some other "herbal" remedy and the most
flaming spook could pass it. So bottom line..good character temperament and
trainability is determined by the standard bar set by the breeder not by
some easily circumvented gun/TC test. C.Grainger

<MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>