[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: possible swimmer

  • From: "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fellswayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:40:51 -0800

Joanne,
It has been my experience that swimmers are more likely in small litters.
The one's I have had have always been. Think about it, with litters of
8-10-12 etc., there is hardly room for them all to get up to their dam and
they wiggle and squirm for their place at the feeding "station."
Years ago the solution was to hobble their legs , so they couldn't flatten
out. I didn't find that the best solution.
What I did was make up additional "pups" by putting several socks into
another sock and tie it into a couple of knots that made it the size of  a
pup. This helped fill up the space in the whelping box, the swimmers have to
maneuver around them. That creates the exercise that strengthens them etc.
You can rub those "sock  pups"on the dam before you put them in the box, and
then they have the smell .
Someone mentioned an egg crate pad. I have never tried that. However, it
seems like a good and logical solution as well.
 I also recall a special formula that was used. That was  many years ago. I
don't remember where those records may be, but there was something that I
supplemented with.

Good luck.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD