[ SHOWGSD-L ] (no subject)

  • From: ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:08:03 EDT

My Vinny had DM.  He was 13 when I put him down.

As you say he had good days and bad. I put him on Meta cam  when it  first
started at about age 10.

It seemed to help.

I knew the time was coming soon . First he lost control of his bowels. When
it was firm it wasn't to bad. Then it turned to liquid and he lost control of
the bladder as well.
Does this happen with all dogs with DM? Or did we miss something totally un
related?
He was such a proud dog and was devastated when he messed in his crate or
stepped in something.

About a couple of weeks before we took him in I had a gal come out and take
some candid shots.

He could still walk but not well. Didn't know if we could get him to the
front yard but we did.

I knelt down to hug him and when I stood up he took off to hide behind the
hay stack out back.
When I found him sitting behind the haystack it was like he was grinning
from ear to ear.
I had to laugh with him. He didn't make it back to the house near as fast.
But very proud just the same.

As for wheels. We never got to that point. However I also have Mini Wire
Dachshunds.

Two friends have used them and the dogs have no trouble going out side.
The only problems were if the dog decided to do stairs or caught the wheel
on an obstacle . They were either stuck or got tipped over. I know one of the
carts was made so we could put a diaper under the bitch and we just changed
her  pants.  Both dogs by the way started swimming and can both walk again.

My brothers bitch (age 10) has bladder cancer. She has no pain and  still
runs around playing with the other dogs but has to wear a diaper all the  time.
They keep the rear clippered for easier clean up.

It is so hard to walk a dog into the vets office for the last time. Vinny,  I
think was ready.  When the vet came in with the needle. Vinny put his paw
out ( like he always did for a hand shake) as if to say here is my vein,
I'm ready. I will never stop crying every time I think about  it.     Judi