[ SHOWGSD-L ] national

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT)

Just returned from the national that had  the most incredible dogs I have seen
in my
fifty-one years of attendance.  Our breed is thriving !!!!  Surely, there are
some
issues, but that will always be the case, and we attempt to solve those issues
as
we recognize them.  Bitches were truly nice, as they always are, but those dogs
were breath-taking.  We recognized the problem in heads, and we set out to solve
it........ and by golly, it is solved.  I am not slighting the bitches, just
pointing out
that when breeders go for the "whole dog" it seems to put us in salvation mode.
I realize that many of you watched the streaming video, and it is a marvelous
advantage for the club to provide  However, until you have spread your hand
across
those broad , strong heads and marveled at the depth and strength of those
muzzles,
you cannot get the true meaning of the improvement.  The judging was excellent,
the best brought to the front.  True, there are going to be some that one
wonders
about, but there are things we cannot see at ringside, and there are going to
be instances
in which we do not agree with the judge.  I asked about one that I thought was
a slam
dunk, but when I was told what that judge saw that I could not, it was
perfectly clear
why that one didn't place.
The other observation was the number of winners who are producing winners, many
better than themselves.  ( so many in the BOB class who are already ROMs )
 Isn't
this our goal; doesn't it say somewhere something about the betterment of the
breed ?
For the first time ever, I feel we are heading toward accomplishment of that
goal.
Congratulations,

Carolyn