[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: losing people in the breed

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "MyJoyGS@xxxxxxx" <MyJoyGS@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

Not all people in this breed are nasty and hurtful. But those that are stick
out. They are the ones that leave the "great" impressions. Newbies will
remember their antics displayed at a show or the rudeness given by a person.
Never invite a newbie to a Specialty unless you are not showing and can sit
there to explain what is going on during the judging. (As someone else
commented, they'll talk to a newbie after the judging is done) understandable.
But newbies have questions during the judging, the whys and how comes at that
precise moment. Don't invite newbies to club meetings, especially if they are
business meetings or tend to get heated. And if the newbie shows up dogless,
never make a negative remark about types or breeders. Plain and simple ... If
you have nothing nice to say ... keep your mouth close and negative opinions to
yourself.

When I started in this breed I was told if I wanted to last I would have to
grow a thick skin. I was also told that if you had a dog that was good and gave
competition be prepared for the cold shoulder, the rumors and all the other
things people who are jealous will pull. And if you are an obedience person
.... well you are a second rate citizen with a second rate dog!  VBG in fact
ROTFLMAO  .... I am an obedience person, have bred a few litters over the
years, shown in the F/M  and own a few pieces of wood. Will I ever leave the
breed? Definitely not. But there are areas that I choose not to show my dogs
in, for reasons that have been hashed many times over on this list. Bottom line
is ... my money, my dogs, my choice. I prefer to show my dogs in areas where I
feel the total dog can be seen.

My advise to Newbies .... This is your breed too, love your dog and enjoy your
dog, make the choices that you want to live with and go for it. Ignore all
negative behavior and most of all ... Have fun. This is a sport of "showing
dogs" in all types of areas. You will meet nice people!

Thirty years in this breed and still having fun!

Lyn Chernak

Lyn Chernak
CherLyn Shepherds - Updated June 06,2010

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~ Membership
   CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC
  Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, RN, TC, CGC