[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: lets look at the question from another angle

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:07:27 -0700

I believe a successful club stems from how the membership is perceived by
each other..from an ethical perspective (I am currently taking a course in
bioethics, so bear with me <g>) do you consider your membership from a
utilitarian perspective (members are simply a means to an end) or a Kantian
perspective (doing "good" because it is the right thing to do). A
utilitarian club will demand, push and insist members do whatever it takes .
the final consequence is the event and the benefits reaped by the club from
that. A Kantian club works together because it is the right thing to do -
for themselves, for the breed, for the fancy as a whole - if any reward is
reaped it is a bonus.

From a utilitarian perspective, you will eventually get "push back" - the
members that believe that it is important to hold shows to foster the
improvement of the breed, to showcase animals, to provide a fair venue and
opportunity of enjoyment for the fancy will eventually quit - their goals
aren't met in the mere drive to hold shows to generate funds, to provide a
venue of opportunity for selective individuals.

I believe there are a good number of clubs that operate with both
philosophies in place - but from what I am reading it is the clubs with bulk
of the members that work together for the good of the breed, the enjoyment
of the event, to offer a venue to show case their animals in a respected
manner that are the biggest and the most successful.The clubs with dominant
members who push for events for personal gain seems to be the ones
struggling..
I guess it takes a real good look at the values and motives of the club as a
whole..

Just my thoughts as I write my paper..