[ SHOWGSD-L ] junior showmanship

  • From: "Michael Lynch" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gsd4show" <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:44:24 -0700

Rebecca,

As a junior judge, there are many things I feel needs revamped. As a handler
as well, I feel there are things that successful handlers need to do in
order to keep a roof over their heads.

(1) I do feel the rule is unjustified. Although I can understand since they
don't offer classes in that specific variety, then they feel it shouldn't be
shown in JS. However, is that to thwart the GSD owners to pass on obedience
as well at the all breed?

(2) I strongly feel JS should be limited to just Saturdays and Sundays. I
feel School should be of the utmost importance to the Juniors, dog showing
is ancillary.  Personally, I think its a disservice to the kid to pull
him/her out of school to show on a Thursday, Friday or Monday (ok, nationals
and Westminster excluded, that is a "big deal"). I do not agree with having
to show your GPA to remain in Juniors. There was a movement a while back
which would've made them to show their cumulative GPA before continuing on..
or giving a number or something to that affect (Cant recall, I am old now).
I feel this is borderline on parenting. AKC can govern registrations, let
the parent govern their own kids GPA and study habits.

(3). While I feel some of the rules of JS are silly, I do think we need to
bring back some of the old days of questioning. If its a really tough class
and you have to make a decision somewhere, I feel the judge should be
allowed to ask questions once again. Even if its a simple one like, 'How did
you prepare your dog for the ring today?" (I was asked that by Lang Sara
once in JS and bumbled my way through it).

Yes, I do agree it is quite unusual to allow a Junior not to show that breed
due to a 60 Mile Specialty show, but on the other hand, its about the
capabilities of the handler, not the merits of the dog. Also, the systems
needs a "boost".

Just my Two Cents.

Michael Lynch
Professional Handler & AKC JS Judge