[ SHOWGSD-L ] junior showmanship

  • From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gsd4show" <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:30:00 -0400

Had a new one happen this am....My daughter Carenza often travels with Mary
Cummings to shows. They have planned to go the shows in Springfield MA a while
ago so we entered her in her Junior's classes as well as the breed for Fri and
Sat. Mary called to tell me that she is now going to stay for the Sunday show
so i thought I would enter Carenza for junior's on Sun but knew there were no
breed classes that day. They will NOT allow a junior to show in junior's with a
breed that is not holding classes that day EVEN though the specialty offers no
junior showmanship. This makes NO since to me at all considering junior's is
NOT on the dog its on the handler. Does anyone else out there think this is a
messed up rule???? I am planning to write to AKC about it as they told me i was
welcome to do so. I am posting on here to ask if anyone else would also write a
letter too. I am sure we will run into this agian in the future as will others.
I just do not think its a fair rule since the judging is on the child not the
dog. Now i am sure that some people will say "why would you be at a show that
has no classes for GSD's" ect ect but thats not the point so those comments are
useless to me. She is there because her ride is there thats why and its a LONG
walk home:) I just think if its ok for a spayed or neutered animal to show in
junior's any AKC acceptable breed should also be allowed esp since the nearby
specialty does not offer it.
Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German Shepherds
http://sites.centralpets.com/mammals/peakesbrookgsd/index.html