[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ivermectin

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Robert Utter" <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:22:21 -0600

Anne.....what happened to the puppy was not an allergic reaction..I had a
similar experience awhile back...the ivomec kills worms by paralyzing the
central nervous system..what was seen in the puppy..is exactly how the worm
dies.the puppies usually have seizures continuously, they can't walk..they
try to stand and fall down...the only thing you can do is maintain
them..ie..fluids..and when they can begin to swallow..a high calorie
supplement and keeping them warm... if you can pull them through it..they
are fine..does not appear to be any lasting effect..I was using ivomec the
way many use it..undiluted..I now have gone back to diluting it..the way I
had done years before..this was my one and only problem with ivomec...since
going back to the diluted method..I have never had a problem with it...I
have since used it diluted in puppies that were 16 weeks old or so...and
know others that have, too. Also..there seems to be an undocumented link
between..undiluted dosage of ivomec..and fertility issues..since also going
back to the diluted...the birches have had better seasons...and rarely
miss..whereas before..I was having unexplained misses..bounced this theory
off my vet..who said..he had observed the same thing...seemed like those
coon dog breeders I mentioned before..were having bitches that missed...and
or bitches with irregular heat cycles...my vet said he had no proof..but
advised them to go back to diluting as this was the only thing they were
doing differently....the problem corrected..of course this is an
unscientific study...but interesting nonetheless..apparently
undiluted...the dosage is 200 times the normal amount need to kill heart
worm. C.Grainger