[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: hockwalkers vs correct movement

  • From: Tigra12@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:49:28 EDT

Awesome post ^_^ That was my point...the dog's with the callouses on the back
of their hocks.  My old boy Ranger has them (fie, they really ARE like a
second paw pad!), and because of that, I'd never breed him, even though he's
very
very nice in all other aspects.
I'm sure that many people don't think that's a good reason not to breed, but
I sure do.  I don't want to be passing that on to my dogs when I start
breeding.  It's not correct and it's not pretty...and the majority of the dogs
I've
been seeing that have that "great underreach", are NOT coming down on the paw
pads, they are definitely down on the hock...as has been shown by several
pictures posted as of late, etc.

I don't want to come off sounding like I know everything, because I don't.
I'm essentially a newbie in the breed, and I want to continue learning.  My
idea of an ideal GSD wasn't the first Shepherd I saw (the first Shepherd I saw
was an American line dog).  My idea of the ideal GSD was in Derringer
(Am/Mex/Intl BIS Ch Jovic-Limar Derringer Noroda, CACIB).

When people tell you that your dog's hips are "bad" or the dog looks wobbly
and crippled, doesn't that bother any of you?  I mean, to me that says
something.  I know that Joe Schmoe probably knows nothing about the GSD
standard, but
way back when, when dogs like Troll were around, do you think people would
have said that?

I know that breeds evolve and change, but really, when you look back at the
old Grand Victors and Victrixes, and Siegers and Siegerins...how many of them
had a ton of angulation?  Our breed is very very different from the rest...but
they did not have a ton of angle...not nearly as much as we see today.  That
is something we put in there (Exaggerated in my opinoin).  It was not truly
there to begin with.

Man, for somebody that wasn't even alive in the time of Troll etc, I
certainly am stuck in the past!  Bad me.

 - Jackie