[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: hockwalkers vs correct movement

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:23:53 -0700

No where did I say that this check should be mandatory, like the loose lead
trained response test is.  No where did I say that dogs that have a callous
should be removed from a breeders breeding program or potential stud dog
list.  No where did I say that judges should penalize dogs who have this
callous.  No where did I say that I have never had a dog that had these
calluses.  What I did say was *I* have never had a dog with a fully
functional rear that also had these calluses.  Functionality of rear is not
only related to follow through, and if I'm having to point this out, I am
beginning to see the light as to why we're seeing dogs in the ring like we
are.  Good grief!

Now... let's just for discussion's sake... look at it this way: From
dictionary.com:  callosity - n : an area of skin that is thick or hard from
continual pressure or friction (as the sole of the foot) [syn: callus]

So, can someone please explain to me how a dog, walking on concrete, ceramic
tile, hardwood floor, soft ground, hard ground, whatever kind of ground,
would have a "callus" on the middle of their hock if they weren't "walking
on that portion of the hock"...

I mean really, if continual pressure or friction is placed on an area, like
when I played guitar for hours on end... I had calluses on my fingers...
Sitting on concrete... this is a **slightly plausible** explanation for some
of these animals...  However, I can not entirely believe that **all** these
dogs that I see who have unfunctional rears and also have these calluses are
housed on concrete, ceramic tile, hardwood floors or whatever it is.

Instead of completely disregarding a theory, why not just look at it as a
potential red flag.

Maybe the dog has a steep croup and it comes up under itself too much.
Maybe the dog has too long of hocks.  Maybe the dog has lack of follow
through.  Maybe the dog has poor ligamentation.  Maybe the dog sits in a
cement kennel too much.  Maybe the dog actually walks on it's hock.  Maybe
ALL of these things, and maybe none of them...

Instead of just totally disregarding the thoughts, throwing out anecdotal
evidence of why "your" dog has these calluses... followed by rhetorical
statements like "I think it's just better if we look at them move" (Ya
Think??? DUH!!!) then evolving the thread into "FAULT JUDGING"... therefore
the person/people who espoused the theory must be "fault judgers"...

I mean come on people, the lack of regard shown by respondents to this
thread to this person really just further proves that no matter how
successful you are, the more you've done, the stupider you must be.  How
very sad.

No bloody wonder the breed is in the state it is... Instead of maturely
thinking through the theory and maybe having a discussion on it... No... we
wouldn't want to do that...we might have to admit our dog has a fault...
HEAVEN FORBID our dog has a fault.  Good grief... unbelievable to me that
people can't talk dogs and realize they all have faults and it's by
discussing these faults and virtues that everyone can gain some knowledge
and maybe learn to see things easier.

What if I'm right and the calluses actually are a red flag that there's some
structural fault to your dogs... a structural fault that if you bred to
correct it... it would bring you a superstar?  But then... that would mean
you'd have to open your mind and your eyes.  What if when you were judging
and you felt that callus and it brought up a red flag, and you saw... say...
a steep croup where the dog came way up under itself and you saw it land on
it's hock repeatedly.

Regardless... I'm done... This "stupid" person is signing off.  Have at it.