[ SHOWGSD-L ] herding vs. flock guardians

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:55:53 EST

There are many breeds used to guard flocks, but GSDs and Old English
Sheepdogs are not among them.  There is a big difference between a HERDING
breed
(such as the GSD, border collie, OES, sheltie, etc.) and a GUARDIAN  breed.  A
herding breed moves stock.  A guardian breed LIVES with  the flock full time.
He/she becomes part of the flock and is NOT  a "pet".  Sheep will actually run
TO the guardian dog when they  become frightened.  Often, when a herding dog
is sent out to bring in the  sheep, the guardian dog comes along with the flock
as a "member".  Of  course, you have to be very careful with that and the
guardian dog must know the  dog that is herding!  In South Carolina, we used an
Anatolian Shepherd who  was fantastic.  I also have friends that have used
Great Pyrenees &  Maremmas.  I also know other people that have llamas as
guardians and  a couple of people that have used donkeys.  I have never met a
Russian
Ovtcharka nor do I personally know anyone that actually uses them as a  flock
guardian, but from the sounds of it and the breed description, I imagine
they would be good, too!

Julie Degen

In a message dated 1/24/2007 2:24:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, sheila  writes:
True  enough, but not every rancher has the ability to manage such a dog as
you  do.  A Great Pyr, or GSD or Old English and others that are much easier
to handle and more up the alley of tough but not as educated in dogs,  rancher.
sheila