[ SHOWGSD-L ] heartworm

  • From: "Connie" <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:16:00 -0600

I believe there are about 150 known species of mosquitos in North America.  The
way I understand it only around 30 of those species carry the heartworm larvae
.Only a few of those live in Colorado. I will have to take the word of a vet
that practices up here about which ones they are. (I did see one mosquito last
year .) don't ask me what kind he was  :>) .
Here is another possible reason that heartworm is not a problem up here.
According to the link below , Development of the microfilaria requires
temperatures at or above 80 degrees Fahrenheit for about two weeks; no larval
development will occur when temperatures are below 57 degrees Fahrenheit. see
link .http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jatroyer/#HEARTWORM

Not much chance of having more that 3 or 4 days of 80 degree temperature.
Record High here is 85 degrees .<G>

Hard to make a funny on this list.

Connie Palmer Williams
South Park Colorado