[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: heartworm

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 22:36:49 -0700

Hi Connie;
ALL the Vets in Nevada said the same thing for years every time we insisted
pups from us
be kept on heartworm preventative.    Now they are more than aware that it is
not true,  and
Nevada is no longer considered heartworm free.
This is a traveling society.....you never know where the neighbor over the hill
came from and if it
were me I would keep my dogs on the heartworm meds as you don't know who is
coming to the
shows you are going to and what someone is seeing the Vet for or any dog
passing by has .......
There was a time when heartworm was considered a "Southern problem"......and
California was
considered completely safe.    Now in NORTHERN California it is considered the
HOTBED of
heartworm .......and part of the reason is because of all the wildlife infected
with it.     We have
had many many breeders say the same thing.......until they have a dog go
through the
treatment..............
Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com