[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: heartworm

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rautt75@xxxxxxxxx" <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:28:03 -0500

I was going to send a private reply, then I thought a moment and thought
this is information I felt everyone should know if y'all didn't already...
And sorry in advance that it's kinda long:
What is the dose of ivermectin for a heartworm positive dog?  NONE. NOT.
EVER.   That is, unless you want to do the commonly practiced by rescues
"slow/soft kill" form of 'treatment'...  Ivermectin is designed to kill
stage 3&4 heartworm microfilliae, not the stage 1 or 2 larvae, nor the
adult worms either.
For a HW test to be read positive, there must be at least 3 adult female
worms present in the heart.  Female heartworms live on average 5 years,
males much shorter, at about 18 months.
Regardless of the dosage of ivermectin, the adult worms will not be killed,
just their right-aged offspring.  The thought is that by controlling the
parasitic load by killing the larvae, the adults will then follow their
course and die in their due time; then dog will be heartworm negative/free
whenever the adult worms are dead, as there are no new younger adult worms
to take their place. Meanwhile, the current evenly maintained parasitic
load of wormy residents in the dog's heart are setting up housekeeping for
up to 6 YEARS.  Just think of how healthy a dog's heart valves are after
closing on a worm or 100 for that long!  The evidence is coming in now that
the soft kill method has been practiced for some time.... And unfortunately
those dogs are quite often dying the same death they would have had-
congestive heart failure- just at a later age than if they were untreated,
but sadly, not the length their potential actually was. :(    It seems to
be that the duration of worms can be just as bad a prognosis as how bad the
infestation is.
Feeding the adult worms ivermectin each month, and the young larvae as well
breeds ivermectin resistant heartworms. Look around the Deep South and find
out how that went. Ivermectin doesn't work for large animals down there
anymore either.  Not even for GIT worms!
Heartworm resistance was unheard of until the soft/slow-kill method became
common practice. Go figure... Are they related?
No veterinary association recommends the slow/soft-kill method. All
recommend actual heartworm treatment for the clinically affected dog (or
cat).
The slow/soft-kill method was basically devised by rescues-- a cheap way to
keep a dog alive and eventually be heartworm free possibly (depending on
age of dog and worms when discovered + the load #,) one day.   Better than
euthanizing the otherwise adoptable dog if that is their only problem is
the thought on that... The 'real' heartworm treatment would break many
cash-strapped rescues, so it doesn't happen.
This half-assed way to treat is a bad way to go IMO- I couldn't imagine
making my dog be heartworm infested for years and years and then knowing
what their fate will be (unless something else gets them first), except
when *** (see below). But I already know I'm a little nuts and it would be
me, not my dogs, with the missed meal cramps if it were ever necessary...
Care Credit is my dogs' best friend!  I wouldn't hesitate to treat if for
some reason, one of my dogs ever did test positive. Not for a second....
Many feel the soft/slow-kill method is "kinder" a 'treatment' than the
"real" one- they feel that 2 whole months of strict rest while the worms
decay is "too hard on poor Dukey. It would kill him not to be able to run &
play for all that time!"... With those same people not thinking past today
or tomorrow, much less a few years down the road... When Dukey won't have
to be confined because with his heart and lung problems due to his leaky
heart valves, he can't run anymore. :(. *** the only valid reason I could
see not to treat Dukey with the traditional heartworm medications is if he
were already quite a senior dog and probably wouldn't outlive the worms in
the first place; being elderly would already be a higher risk being
positive as well. He could go with the soft kill treatment then I suppose.
If this is a young dog, spring for the adult killer. Be done with the
heartworms and free before spring. Then she can live on year round
preventative for the rest of her life as not to get them again!  That will
be her first dose of ivermectin. ;)
Also, if the yeast infections get treated and come back, go straight for
the allergy testing. Most chronic yeast infections are due to being allergy
related. Get the allergies under control, voilà!  Yeast infections under
control. In the long run, it's cheaper to do the testing rather than pay
for the medications 10x...
Diet is also quite important- go grain free if not already, raw is great
for the allergic dog since the owner knows EXACTLY what their dog gets!
Also, rinsing the yeast affected areas with plain white vinegar will kill
the yeast. Mixed 50/50 with rubbing alcohol makes an excellent ear cleaner-
and is also drying with the alcohol. :). Anti fungal, antibacterial,
antiviral, all in one cheap and easy homemade product!  Use daily for 3-4
weeks when infected, then 2x weekly afterwards for control when necessary.
The same mix can also be used on feet, etc., providing the skin isn't
licked too bloody raw where it would be more than painful to pour alcohol
on it!  (I'd rather salt there... ;)

Wishing your daughter good luck-

Jen P & the Pack who have 3 words:  YEARLY 4 DX TEST!  Tests for
heartworms, Lyme's disease, Anaplasmosis, and Ehrlichiosis.  Each can kill
your dog via acute renal or hepatic failure at worst; fever, anorexia and
transient polyarthritis (many leg arthritic lameness) at the least of the
symptoms range. They are usually around 2x the cost of a regular heartworm
test and you test for 4x as much stuff!  Plus you get results before you go
home, not the next day or next week. :). Just sayin'

--
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com

http://showgsd.org/mail.html