[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: health

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:18:08 -0500

My vet and I talk about things like this a lot.  (He’s a gem.)  A 2nd
generation breeder-vet in a multi-vet suburban practice, he believes that
mixed-breed (mutt) dogs have the same issues as pure-bred dogs - except vets
don’t track the diseases of mixed-breed dogs.
Having said that, I do believe that certain families, even dog families, carry
genetic issues that are more serious than others.  Sometimes, I think that we
do more to try to minimize health issues in our dogs than most people do in
picking a spouse to be the mother/father of their children!

Okay, seriously though....  There are important, ongoing studies going on
through the efforts of the AKC Canine Health Foundation, the American German
Shepherd Charitable Foundation, and the Morris Animal Foundation.   They are
studying IBS, Lymphoma, Hemangiosarcoma, Osteosarcoma, and Degenerative
Myelopathy among others.  A video on GSDCA.org
(https://www.gsdca.org/german-shepherd-dogs/education/2012-dm-seminar) was
filmed last year at the National of a presentation by Dr. Jean Coates about the
status of her research on DM.

There is some compelling research coming from the AKC-CHF that suggests that
early spay/neuter before maturity may have possible health consequences
including possible links to Hemangiosarcoma & hip dysplasia
(http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/news/health-implications-in-early.html).
That potentially has some far-reaching consequences to the whole veterinary
industry.

I personally am encouraged by recent studies in people AND dogs about the
effects of over-vaccinations.  I hope these studies continue, even recognizing
that this also may have far-reaching financial considerations.

And even then, I recognize that in spite of our best efforts, stuff happens....
Sigh...