[ SHOWGSD-L ] health

  • From: ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know that the GSD is any better or worse than years past.

Maybe we just have more people willing to take our dogs to the Vet and
research possible problems.

In the early 70's My GSD bitch came in with what looked and felt like
someone had put a golf ball
under her skin at the top of her hip. I took her to the Vet and he said she
 was displactic and we should put her down.  Well , it was a snake bite. It
 went away on its own.  But at that time all Vets thought all dogs were
crippled. Fact was . most Vets didn't know how to properly position a dog on
the  table for X Rays. I often wonder how many dogs were put down for no
reason.

I think we just invest more in our dogs than the average pet owner. The Vet
 probably don't see a lot of problem mutts, because they are being put down
in  Shelters.

I have a Boarding Kennel and the majority of the dogs I Board are mutts.
These people care about their dogs and about one in 20 come with med's. They
have just as many allergies, heart  issues, bad hips, seizures,
digestive problems,DM and more than any of our GSD's.

I think we have come a long way, in the last 40 years.  Judi