[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [gsdshowlist] Mega-esophagus

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:16:24 EDT

Hi, I take exception to your statement that "Most people put these puppies
down as they do not want to be bothered with it and they should not be used for
 breeding as it is very hereditary especially in German Shepherd Dogs". I and
 "most people" put them down because they have a very very small chance of
surviving, and a very very large chance of pneumonia, starvation, etc, and no
normal way to eat... However, you are damn right that I do not want to "be
bothered with it". After 35 years of breeding and facing almost every tragedy,
 have learned which fights I can win. To euthanize a pup in the terrible
condition most of these puppies are in is an act of love and mercy. They can
and
do starve to death before your very eyes, they cannot breathe because of the
reflux they suffer...they look at you with haunted eyes as they back up, gag,
 and try to get the food either up or down. Feeding in an artificial manner
is  not doing a service to the dog, or the breed. Syd

In a message dated 4/3/2008 3:30:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Dania. I will share my story. Firstly, megaesphagus is a condition where
there is a pocket in the esphagus. The food gets stuck there. The dog becomes
very uncomfortable and will throw the food right back up. It will usually
appear when you start feeding puppies solid food. It is diagnosed with a
barium
test. Most people put these puppies down as they do not want to be  bothered
with it and they should not be used for breeding as it is very  hereditary
especially in German Shepherd Dogs. It can be an inherited or  aquired
condition. I
believe the latter being something not quite right with  the puppy growing
before it is born. My Nichole was born with a severe case of  megaesphagus. It
showed up when she was 4-1/2 weeks old and tried to eat solid  food. She was a
happy puppy. But when it came time to eat she would eat like  the rest of the
pups. Then she would go into the corner and cry and then throw  all her food
up. It was confirmed with a barium test even though I already  knew what i
t was. She was fed a lot of small meals and then held up for  fifteen minutes
so the food would go through her esphagus and into her  stomach. It was a
long slow process but she survived and has not thrown up any  food since she
was
eleven weeks old. I really do not think that I would put  another puppy
through that. On top of all that poor Nichole was diagnosed with  E.P.I. at
three
years old. She certainly is a survivor! She is seven now and  doing great and
is
the love of my life. In fact we are hoping to go to  Beaumont and show in the
Veteran bitch class. A lot of people know  Nichole.....t was. She was fed a
lot of small meals and then held up for  fifteen minutes so the food would go
through her esphagus and into her  stomach. It was a long slow process but she
survived and has not thrown up any  food since she was eleven weeks old. I
really dt was. She was fed a lot of smal

Amy Greenhut
Justrock German Shepherds
Gen Oak Leopard  Tortoises, Tortoise Rescue

------------------------<WBR>-- Original message----------
From: _DKarloff@xxxxxxxx (mailto:DKarloff@xxxxxxx)

ttp://travelhttp://travehttp://travel.<Whttp_
)

> [Non-text portions of this message have been  removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been  removed]

__._,_.___
_Messages  in this topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/message/2330;_ylc=X3oDMTM1MWx0cHA1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcw
NTA0MjU0MwRtc2dJZAMyMzMyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIwNzIxODYxMgR0cGNJZA
MyMzMw) (2) _Reply (via web post) _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbm9sZjBpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTc
wNTA0MjU0MwRtc2dJZAMyMzMyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTIwNzIxODYxMg--?act=
reply&messageNum=2332) | _Start  a new topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaDBndmdnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdy
cHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMDcyMTg2MTI-)
_Messages_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmazBraWdkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRy
BHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzEyMDcyMTg2MTI-)   | _Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnazU4MWhnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1
BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMjA3MjE4NjEy)   |
_Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOG1yaDdzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNs
awNwaG90BHN0aW1lAzEyMDcyMTg2MTI-)   | _Database_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZ29wNjBxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4OD
k1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNkYgRzdGltZQMxMjA3MjE4NjEy)   |
_Calendar_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcTI0ZG9vBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBH
NsawNjYWwEc3RpbWUDMTIwNzIxODYxMg--)
*****  Visit our  website at:  www.gsdshowlist.org  *****

The Gsdshowlist is a  private forum and all email posted to this list should
be treated as private  email.  Do not forward list posts or quotes from a list
post, to any  person who is not a list member, without the author's
permission.

The  gsdshowlist is not a moderated list. Comments posted to the gsdshowlist
are  that of the author of the emails, and do not represent the opinions or
beliefs  of the gsdshowlist, its owners, or its members.

<*>Send all posts  regarding GSD RESCUE to Rescue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To temporarily  stop list mail send a blank email to:
gsdshowlist-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To restart list mail send a  blank email to:
gsdshowlist-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To restart in digest, or to  change to digest mode send to:
gsdshowlist-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Having trouble doing mail  settings?  We can do the settings for you.
Feel free to contact a list  administrator for help.

)
_Change  settings via the Web_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnOG1wdmxxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0
MjU0MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMjA3MjE4NjEy)  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email:  _Switch  delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:gsdshowlist-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  |
_Switch
format to Traditional_
(mailto:gsdshowlist-traditional@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Change Delivery Format:
Traditional)
_Visit  Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNmlmN2VpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDZnR
yBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIwNzIxODYxMg--) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe  _

Recent Activity
    *    4
_New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbmxpajQyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNw
SWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjA3MjE4NjEy)
    *    1
_New  Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsdshowlist/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYmpkNWxuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMDI4ODk1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjU0MwRzZWMDdnRs
BHNsawN2cGhvdARzdGltZQMxMjA3MjE4NjEy)