[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dwarf

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lfossland@xxxxxxx>, <KensLandscape@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:02:57 -0500

I had a dwarf GSD that I considered my own little angel. There are two main
types of dwarfism -- pituitary, when is heriditary and non-proportaional
dwarfism, which is genetic.

My little guy was non-proportional, which is very rare in GSDs. He had an
almost normal body but his legs were short. He also had a short neck and
muzzle. He had a very pronounced stop and his eyes were too wide apart. Eyes
were slanted instead of round. However, he had a beautiful coat and a
full-size tail. He was also retarded. It took a long time to get his
house-broken.

He was also loving and very funny. He stole my heart. He was full of spunk
and never thought he was just the little guy and he loved life in a way few
of us understand. Everything was wonderful and every living creature was his
friend. Even when the cats had enough and scratched his nose, he would cry
and then forget why and go play with the cats again, so the cats learned to
run when they saw him coming.

He was very slow to develop and I could easily see why someone would say
everything was OK -- just slow to develop. He was normal when born, but only
weighed about 6 pounds at 8 weeks. He only started to get his teeth around 8
weeks. At 16 weeks, I weighed about 15 pounds.

He had to be hand fed and supplemented for the first 4 months. Of course,
his ears stood up when he was about 7 weeks old and never came down. He was
a comical sight.

I really loved him. Like I said, he was a little angel sent to us from
heaven to teach us what was really important.

Lee Smith