[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another football player involved in pitbulls

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:58:10 -0500

Thanks to Ileana for this post..........
It seems careless and reckless that those of us who love the sport of pure bred
dogs would participate in conversation which indicts, without any tangible
evidence, other owners/breeders of the American Staffordshire Terrier because
Mr. Vick has, apparently cruelly and wrongfully, used, abused, and tortured
dogs.

Let us consider, for example, .........

........*if* one owner/breeder of German Shepherd Dogs in a highly publicized
case were charged with some of the same or similar activities as Mr. Vick,
would it be appropriate for someone, or anyone, to assume that other breeders
of German Shepherd Dogs were also guilty?

Not without evidence.

Are there others like Mr. Vick?
Certainly and no doubt.

Who are they?
I don't know.

Some breeds, including our own, are sometimes considered "dangerous"
in the minds of the uninformed and fearful.

It seems as though this might be a good time to be supportive of the American
Staffordshire Terrier as an AKC recognized breed and the folks who participate
with it in AKC sanctioned conformation and obedience events.

Imagine, if you will, if we as breeders/owners of German Shepherd Dogs, were
put in the position of needing to defend our entire breed because of the
actions of some wicked individual who misused and violated the sacred trust to
care for our dogs.

Now that we think about it............ actually, it *does* happen to us,
doesn't it?

One person does a wicked thing, ...........and we all suffer for
it........because it reflects on us and our beloved breed.

It is time to remember......

"A righteous man hath for the life of his beast."
Proverbs 12:10

Jane Kerner