[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Your Lyin' eyes.... breed type vs style

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "EDEN HALL" <GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx>, GSD0110@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:59:37 -0600

To me anytime a breeders places too much emphasis on only one aspect of the
dog..the rest of the dog suffers. If you breed only for temperament..and
forgo type and motion..then you have a pet...if you breed strictly for
type..and forgo motion and temperament..the you have only a shell or
caricature of a dog..pretty standing..but can't move as a GSD should and is
not a pleasure to live with. If you breed for motion only and loose sight
of temperament and type then you have a dog that neither looks or acts like
a GSD. This to me is why the GSD is so difficult to breed as you have to
embody these 3 elements in balance and harmony..getting two out of three is
easy..getting three for three right is a work of art! Christine

before 'everything' in this situation including temperament, clean coming
and going, secondary sex characteristics, etc. etc.  Pounding is a serious
fault, but many people often mistake it because the dog may not be
over-extending in front which is also not correct.
> Males should not move like bitches.  Some males have no masculinity but
they can fly-but they don't look like males.  I am sooooo sick of not
seeing males that look like males.  Some dogs can fly but are so dirty
going away they could in no way work sheep as they couldn't stop on a dime,
roll back on their haunches and take off in another direction without
getting their legs tangled up plus the muscle development has been given up
for 'movement'.  We do take our dogs herding and we have seen it in others
and it is embarrassing to the breed.  You can see it in the breed ring as
well on the coming and going.  Sometimes when they change directions the
'dirty dogs' cross over in the back and somewhat get tangled up as they
change direction and come back.

> We think a German Shepherd should have it all.  They should be able to
move 'correctly'.  A good moving dog is a sound, balanced dog, driving off
the rear, reaching with the front, transmitted through a strong middle
piece. How could an ugly dog be a good mover since what makes up the
appearance of the dog is structure.  How could a correctly structured dog
be ugly?

> To say that you'd pick an ugly dog that moves is also throwing out the
entire 'dog'.  I have to say that I'm sure your dog didn't go select just
because he was 'pretty'.  There are not too many judges at that level that
would jeopardize their career just picking a 'pretty dog'.  I'm sure that
dog was selected because he was a 'total package', he had breed type,
secondary sex characteristics, was clean on both ends, had an adequate
shoulder with which to work, had bone, had pigment, had good feet, had a
good ear set - was the sum of the total, not just a piece.

> Breeding for strictly movement, or what specialty people often mistake
for movement, is why John Q. Public come to specialty shows and ask 'why is
that dog dragging its ass'.  They don't ask that at AB shows.  Why, because
those dogs look like GSDs.  They may not be perfect, but they can work
sheep, they can jump in a truck and by gosh, they look like a GSD.

> We aren't slamming specialty dogs because we show in both rings with the
same dogs!  That should be the goal for everyone I would think, in our
opinion.  If you can't take your dog and go into an AB show, then you have
a problem with your dog.  It's a wake-up call  - if you are embarrassed to
take your dog to an AB show because the general public will think your dog
is crippled, then you have a problem.

> Anyway, didn't mean to go this long but we miss seeing males that look
like males.  We would much rather take home a dog with a little less
shoulder but was the 'total package'.  If we were forced to take home a
specialty dog that flew around the ring (with no head, no width between his
legs in front, dirty going away) or a speciality dog that you could tell
was a male from across the ring and gaited cleanly, efficiently and
productively (not extremely angulated on either end), we'd take that male
home.

> Edie
> Hallmark German Shepherds
> Top American And German Lines
> http:/www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html

Take
>   My Word Or Believe Your Lyin' Eyes?"
>
>   Why are the words to a song which never became a popular hit relevant
>   German Shepherd Dogs?  The answer is simple:  eyes do often lie.
>
>   I remember seeing a dog in specials at the National a few years ago.
Before
>   they went in the ring, I thought he was the most correct beautiful dog
I  had
>   ever seen.  After watching him gait; however,  I saw that he  pounded
the
>   ground in front.  That incident taught me that even though my  eyes
said that dog
>   was correct; his movement told me otherwise. He was so pretty  that he
went
>   Select that day....Being a pretty Select still didn't make him  correct
but it
>   did make him a popular stud dog.
>
>   I have one criteria for picking puppies from a litter.... movement....
I'll
>   take a chance that the "ugly" puppy who can move will grow up to become
>   "pretty"  ;because I know that the pretty puppy who can't move will not
grow up to
>   be a  mover.  Because no matter what my eyes tell me when he/she is
>   standing...movement doesn't lie.....he/she must BE  correct to move
correctly.  And it
>   doesn't matter how pretty a dog is:  if he doesn't  move correctly he
isn't
>   correct.
>
>   Gary Lewis
>   Garter GSD's

>   POST is Copyrighted 2006.  All material remains the property of the
>
>   ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS

admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.